Monday, July 19, 2010

How Did I End Up With All of This?

Today I was planning to sleep in. But, as luck would have it, my phone (which is never on silent because I always forget to turn it off despite it going off every morning) decided to wake me up. And somehow, instead of wasting my time, I ended up cleaning a good deal of my room. It turns out I own a lot of things I don't really care about.

For example, somehow, despite talking about for years how the "Twilight" books aren't well-written at all I own all four of them. And they're actually placed somewhat neatly on my shelf. It's not that they're horrible, or anything. I just realized many of my favorite books ("Wuthering Heights," "David Copperfield," "13 Reasons Why" and "Jurassic Park," to name a few) aren't in my house. Do I really want to own escapist fantasy I'll never read again instead of books I've checked out of the library so many times it's slightly embarrassing?



But I get points back for owning all of the "Harry Potter" books, right? Because they will be known as classics just like "Alice in Wonderland" and "Watership Down" are one day.

Even when I went through my movies I discovered I don't even want to watch half of the DVDs in my collection ever again. In high school, when most of these were purchased, I apparently really liked romantic comedies and superheroes. And, for the record, "Spiderman 2" and "The Dark Knight" are probably the greatest comic book movies ever made and are simply good in general. But the fact remains that in twenty years I probably won't care about "Night at the Museum" or "Fool's Gold." In fact, I never really cared about "Fool's Gold" because it was just ... bad.

Despite "Saving Private Ryan," "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," "Toy Story 2" and "The Princess Bride" being some of my favorite movies since I first saw them, I've never bothered to buy them. And it's probably because I've just impulsively bought things that I felt like reading or watching at the moment.

But that's why we have the library and Netflix. So I can borrow fluff books and movies instead of turning my room into a hoard of "entertainment." It's too bad I didn't figure this out five years ago and saved myself the trouble of trying to decide what to do with all of my junk.

No comments:

Post a Comment