Wednesday, February 22, 2012

In life, nothing is guaranteed, so do the most with the time given to you...

As some of you may know, today marks the second year anniversary of losing Adam Kazery. For those of you who don't know, Adam was the online editor for The Reflector my freshman year. He was a good friend, co-worker, and Reflector family member. He was one of the first people who made me feel welcome in the office. When I felt a little lost, he was willing to help me. And when I had the idiotic idea of doing a "Lost" podcast every week, he was the one who helped me learn how to edit them.

For the past two years, I haven't written anything about Adam. And it isn't because I didn't love him and don't miss him — I just didn't know what to say. Part of me felt like Aubra, April, and Kyle had covered it in what they had written. Here's the editorial Kyle wrote and this is what Aubra wrote today.

Adam is someone I never forget. I will never forget how he gave me a CD to listen to just because he could. Or how when I first was hired as entertainment editor he spent time getting to know me and talking through the office. And I'll never forget how he made me fear for my life my first day at work when he told me he had hid a sword above my head. Or how one day Kyle, Adam, and I were interrupted from working on MPA entries by Bob in a tie-dye T-shirt and jorts.

Adam gave all of us an example of how to be a friend and how to be a co-worker. By selflessly working on the paper without asking for credit, he inspired me to do the same. By doing small favors for others or offering to help, even without being asked, he made desire to be even half as considerate.

When I got that news two years ago, I was devastated. And lost. And didn't know how to react or process what had happened. It made me realize that cliche ... the one about nothing in life is guaranteed, so you need to live life now. You can only live each day once, so you need to enjoy it for what it is.

Today, Aubra and April surprised The Reflector staff with cupcakes and a letter, which you can see on Aubra's blog entry. Knowing that I have friends who care about me and the rest of the crew is something greater than I could have ever expected. If something good has come from all of this, it is that I have realized just how much of a family The Reflector is. Even strangers who have observed us have pointed it out to me on occasion.

The staff of the spring of 2010 (and those of you I knew in the fall as well) will have a special place in my heart. I remember all of you surprising me with a birthday party. With Disney Princess cups. It may be the best birthday I'll ever have. And those small gestures can be what mean the most to us in the end.

So, to the former Reflector staffs, the current Reflector staff, my friends outside the office (yes, they exist), and my family and those who are important to me, I just want to let you know I love you. I never expected to have such wonderful people in my life, and I'm thankful that God has put all of you there.

And, after all, the ones we love never truly leave us. Adam's still here with us, and I know he'll continue to remain in my (and everyone else's) memories. So, we don't need to dwell on his death, but his life. Because Adam truly knew how to live it.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you wrote. Hope it's healing for you. It's certainly helped me.

    ReplyDelete