Saturday, October 30, 2010

A Break From Shopping: NCMC Day Four

Today was the day of truth: interview day. April and I slept in because we had stayed up late last night to attend the midnight newspaper critique. We met with the adviser for the Iowa State newspaper and the online editor. They gave us good advice, and April and I have some ideas for the paper and know what they said we need to improve. But, over all, they had a lot of good things to say about The Reflector.

Anyway, after we woke up, we did some homework and then went to eat. I decided I wanted a salad, so April asked the hotel desk where a good place to eat was. The guy working suggested a grill between sixth and seventh, so we decided to head there. Once we got there and looked at the menu, I saw a yummy sounding Mediterranean pasta dish. So I got that instead of the salad, and it was good.

After lunch, we went back to the hotel and did more homework. I read a lot of my King Arthur assignment and have come to the conclusion that Malory is probably the worst Arthurian writer ever. And no one besides me cares. Our interviews began creeping closer and closer, so we got ready and went downstair twenty minutes early.

I still don't know exactly how my interview went. Because my interviewer liked me, said I had passion and gave me advice to prepare for a job and said I would go far, but admitted my smaller number of internships and sophomore status would not put me at the top of a list for an internship this year. But hoped I would consider the Courier-Journal as a career goal one day.

After interviews, April and I went to go get smoothies at Thelma's. They were ok, just not great. We then went back to the room, and I took a nap for two hours. I blame being so tired all the time on Delta. We then went to get pizza for dinner at a place call Sicilian's and watched the MSU-Kentucky game.

During the game, as usual, I had intelligent commentary like:

Me: So we're in the middle of the fourth quarter?
April: It's actually the third quarter but yes.

Me: So our plan is to stop Kentucky from scoring and hopefully make another touchdown?

Me: We're MSU. We're not Kentucky.

Me: I understand what the [D and fence] signs mean.

And that's some of the more intelligent things I said. Yeah, I know, I'm sure April is proud to have me as an employee of The Reflector. There's a reason why I have experience to Entertainment and News but not Sports.

After the game ended, we headed back to the hotel. Where we either worked on homework or blogged. Because we're nerds.

I also saw two more Canons today and no Nikons. I think that means something.

Oh, yeah, we didn't go shopping today. That's a first.

No comments:

Post a Comment