Friday, October 29, 2010

I Saw Only Canons: NCMC Day Three

Everyday this week, April and I have been oversleeping. The best part of this extra sleep thing? We haven't been late to our nine o'clock sessions yet. This morning, we both decided to go to career-related sessions. After listening to April talk about finding a job after she graduates in May, I have become officially freaked out about being competitive enough for the job market.

Basically, I learned:

1) Include references on resumes.
2) All of your high school experience is pretty useless.
3) Graduate school is pretty useless you want to teach later.
4) Objectives are stupid. They know you're objective — to get a job.
5) Portfolios should be five to seven clips.

April later went to a session on blogging, while I went to a session on feature stories. While at her session, she was inspired to create a new blog. I was also inspired — though my ideas were about The Reflector instead. Hopefully when we return to Starkville, I can begin following up a few of the ideas I've had here.

April and I also attended a class on working with the law enforcement officials on campus because I did not want to go to another advertising seminar. I learned some useful stuff about developing relationships with police officers and learned Reflector history.

I was going to go to a session on covering the community, however, the speaker was really late, and I honestly got tired of waiting. So I went back to the room and decided to start on some of my homework. The good news is that I've taken what I think is a decent news photo for photography to turn in on Monday. The bad news is I still have a lot King Arthur to read this weekend, and it's all about Lancelot who is probably one of the worst knights ever.

At six o'clock, the newspapers involved with the job fair at NCMC posted who had received interviews for jobs and internships. So, around six-thirty after the crowds had cleared, April and I went downstairs to see if we had gotten anything. Both of us have interviews tomorrow with the Courier-Journal at four-thirty, which is exciting.

We went down Fourth Street to eat, though because of some of the events being held I had to get my hands marked as a minor. I now have two permeant-marker ms on my hands that make me look like I'm in a low-budget gang. Or so I think. After eating, I shot a band who was playing outside for my photography assignment before we went to the two-story Borders. Yep. We went to Borders. To get books for school. I think it's official that we're nerds.

It turns out that when I was packing at two in the morning, because I had put it off like always, I did not grab interview appropriate shoes. So, once again, April and I found ourselves at a mall — though this one was much better than the one we went to last night. This one has a Pottery Barn and a Loft. I managed to find some reasonably priced heels at Dillards and April found some cute professional clothes on sale at Loft.

After we finished shopping, we headed back to the hotel, and I discovered the Internet was working (for once). I finished my application for PowerPlant, a summer missions organization, proofread it, and submitted it. I am proud to say I completed something before the very last minute. I then moved on to something useful i.e. reading random Tweets from the conference.

After reading NCMC Twitter posts, I came to a conclusion:
Me: April, I think we're attending a conference with a bunch of weirds.
April: They're journalists. There's a ton of weirdos.

The conference is offering a free newspaper critique at midnight, so we will be heading down soon.

Oh, and for the record, today I saw a lot of people carrying around their cameras, and every single one was a Canon.

No comments:

Post a Comment