Saturday, May 26, 2012

Ironing pleats is my personal form of hell

Aside from my airport adventures (and forgetting a couple important items of clothing I need to replace), I've yet to have any real problems since coming to Oxford. I haven't gotten (completely) lost, I haven't broken any bones, and the sun has been uncharacteristically shining brightly.

Except that tomorrow we're going to the cathedral for Christ Church's college communion and apparently dress etiquette requires knees to be covered. Which is fine, really. Except I have one skirt that fits the bill and it has pleats. And I literally just spent an hour attempting to tame said pleats and consequently ended up dropping the iron on my arm.

But, let's face it, if this is the biggest problem I have when I'm in Europe, I'm good to go.

Aside from the iron fiasco, today was more laid back than the past couple of days. I slept in, went to lunch and then got ice cream with Khanh, Josh, Ben, Bailey, and Spencer before we went to the rowing races at Christ Church, which was held in the Meadows.


We met up with the Trinity College group of MSU students (The university is made up of colleges and the MSU students were sorted into either Christ Church or Trinity. These colleges are separate entities in the way that the states  in America are separate from the Union.) and relaxed in the grass for a bit before heading to our colleges' boathouse to watching the competition.

Which, honestly, I didn't really get. Seriously. I just figured out American sports to the point of competency. No one should expect too much from me. However, some of the Christ Church rowers explained everything to us and hopefully I have it figured out.

Hopefully.

 

After a bit, we headed back to the college and then made plans for dinner at The Four Candles. We are working on getting our meals set up at the college so we can eat there, which needs to be soon because the pubs are expensive. Good but expensive. We then went to the grocery store and got some food, which had the longest lines I've seen anywhere, ever for that kind of thing.

And then we watched a movie at the flat. 

And I discovered I got a little sunburned. At least the sun has been shining, right?





No comments:

Post a Comment