Friday, June 8, 2012

Iceland: The Dream That Was Snatched Away

I decided to make a miraculous recovery instead of going to the doctor.


This week was supposed to be our travel period (Wednesday through Friday), but because most of us had two papers to complete — combined with the expense of travel over such a short period — almost everyone backed out of the trip to Scotland.

Because we're adventurous people, Josh and I decided to go to Iceland instead (because that's more convenient and cheaper). After telling Dr. Snyder of our plans, we decided to look up flights ... and then decided the twenty-three layover in Germany and/or the thousand pounds tickets weren't worth it. I then proposed we go stalk the "Doctor Who" shooting and get a picture of the Tardis. This was promptly ignored.

So then Bailey, Josh, and I agreed to go to London. But then this was complicated by the fact that OSAP had scheduled a Cambridge trip on Saturday. And then Josh complained about his paper load. So it was somehow decided that Bailey would go to Cambridge and Josh and I would go to Blenheim Palace tomorrow (or there would be no trip for me at all).

Blackmail by fickle people who can't make up their minds.

And the selling point for Blenheim Palace? Apparently, because it belongs to the family of Winston Churchill, Hitler wanted to make it his English summer home once he overtook Britain.

That's all I know. That, and I really wanted to see Les Mis, so not going to London this weekend is more of a disappointment.

Today, Khanh and I went shopping (I went in attempts to replace my boots, which someone broke. I was unsuccessful.) While I was out, I came across Josh randomly on Cornmarket Street. (See guys? I know the streets now.) Because some of the other students studying at Oxford through OSAP were throwing a dessert party later that night, the three of us went to Marks and Spencer in an attempt to get ingredients for chocolate covered strawberries. This failed, but I eventually obtained the ingredients from Tesco.

After making the strawberries, I acted like I had done something productive and wasted time until it Khanh, Meghan, Bailey, and Josh decided it was time to leave for dinner. We found an independent pub in which to eat before heading to the house.

While at the party, we met several Christ Church British students who taught us a party game that resembles Salad Bowl. My team won. Both times. We headed back to the flat after the party and went to sleep, with me personally wondering if I was going to be stood up for Blenheim Palace.

And let's face it, being stood up for that would be just sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment