Saturday, June 2, 2012

Windsor Castle: Or, how I foiled Christ Church's Evil Plot

Fun fact: I'm a conspiracy theorist. A conspiracy theorist who really likes duck.

Khanh and I have discovered that, basically, anytime the OSAP office plans a trip for us (today, for example, we wen to Windsor Castle), Christ Church chooses to serve duck. Which means we never can go to dinner when there is duck because we're not in Oxford.

Clearly, Christ Church looks at the OSAP schedule before deciding on the week's menu and places the duck on the days we are unable to attend dinner.

But, I'll stop my tangent now.

After a night of little sleep (and alien filled nightmares, thanks "Prometheus"), we piled onto the two buses provided for us by OSAP. But, luckily for us, they had booked two large buses so there was twice the amount of seats as people.

As a studious individual, I brought along "The Lord of the Rings" to read on the journey. (I ended up curling up in a ball and falling asleep.) Unfortunately for Bailey, the student sitting in front of him ended up leaning his seat all the way back. After Bailey asked for to move it up, the student did — he moved up by an inch, tops.

Once we got to the castle (which, after doing some quick Wikipedia research I learned was the Queen's preferred weekend home), we waited in line for a very long time. At least, I thought it was. While waiting in line, I asked Dr. Snyder about the changes he is bringing to MSU's Honors College. Basically, if I understand correctly, an honors student will now need to take QUEST classes, which will introduce the student to writings from multiple time periods. The student will also need to complete an honors thesis/project and either study abroad or participate in a similar experience. From speaking with Dr. Snyder, it seems as if the Honors College will be lifted to a new level, and I think it will be especially beneficial to humanities students.

Windsor's Round Tower


After we finally got into the castle, we joined the long queue to see the Doll's House that was built for Queen Mary, the wife of George V (which Wikipedia will also tell you). Dr. Snyder decided he did not want to see the doll house badly enough to stand in the long line, so he left us.

On a side note: Not that I did this, or anything, but if you insist upon complaining about how jerky someone is (see above jerk who was rude to Bailey on the bus), check to make sure he or she isn't standing behind you. It could lead to an awkward moment, followed by declarations of "I wanted them to hear."

After seeing the doll house, we proceeded to look at the rest of the castle. (It should be noted photographs could not be taken inside the royal residence itself — it's the royal family's home.) I sped through the photo collection of the queen to escape the crowds and spent a rather large amount of time looking at the china collection.

According to a castle worker, the china is washed in a rubber sink to prevent damages and one plate can cost 15, 000 pounds. Needless to say, I should never be employed to a royal residence. I went through the armory and realized just how many guns can be in one place. That kinda scared me.

After we finished exploring the castle grounds, Ben took the group to a pub he had been to before. There, Khanh and I ordered duck, therefore foiling Christ Church's plan to deprive us. I also decided, that for scientific purposes, I would attempt to discover the best apple pie in England. Even if I had to get dessert at every pub we go for the rest of the trip, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

We had a lot of free time after eating, so we went to the river side and watched the swans, ducks, and geese. Obviously, the swans are superior to all other birds.

According to our tour guide Brian, the Queen does technically own all the swans in England. Ceremonially, the birds are marked each year at certain places on the Thames.

Once I got back on the bus, I talked to Dr. Snyder on the return journey and had a rather exciting conversation.

When we reached Oxford, I realized I did not feel well. And, as time went on, I felt worse. Bailey, who considers himself a semi-doctor, gave me pills. Which meant I really felt bad because I'm usually opposed to western medicine.



2 comments:

  1. For the record, I TOTALLY wanted them to hear.

    Also, since you mentioned that the queen owns swans: http://www.royal.gov.uk/RoyalEventsandCeremonies/SwanUpping/SwanUpping.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, seeing as I lived next to them (and if you recall what was said), I definitely DID NOT.

    ReplyDelete