Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Oxford: Or, How I Fell in Love

Yeah, don't get excited by the title of this post. I'm talking about food — specifically, white chocolate blueberry french toast. I thought breakfast was my least favorite meal of the day. I was wrong.

On Sunday, Josh arrived at our flat to make us said french toast. At this point, we realized that our kitchen was poorly stocked in terms of cooking supplies, so we stole some things from upstairs. In return, Bailey was invited to join us for breakfast. So, after working hard with what he had, Josh presented us with breakfast. And, in return, became my favorite person of the day.

I still felt horrible, and I spent most of my day working on my paper for "The Children of Hurin" and reading "Measure for Measure" for my Shakespeare tutorial. I thought it would be funny to call Josh (the only person who bothered to sit with me all day, in hindsight I'm sorry about this) all the insults I could find in "Measure for Measure." His reaction to that was kind of like my reaction to his speeches on camera angles and lighting.

Monday, I felt better. And I finished my "Measure for Measure" paper. Which meant I was completely done with my papers for the week. Honestly, not much happened Monday. We spent the majority of it planning out the possibility of going to Stonehenge for the summer solstice. Because on the solstice you can touch the stones.

Today, I came across this outside my door on the way back into the flat:

Photo by Maddy Cook
Melissa, being the kind and good friend she is, left us treats to help us get through our second to last week in Oxford. This week, many of the MSU students are either finishing up their tutorials or, like me, getting their final assignments. 

Today also marked the day that I began quoting Oscar Wilde, randomly in conversation, just for fun. 

Several examples:

"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal."

"Arguments are to be avoided: they are always vulgar and often convincing."

And, my personal favorite, "By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, journalism keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community."

Maddy and Bailey found my little game amusing ... everyone else a little less so.

Tomorrow, we head to Stonehenge. I'm excited. It's where a man's a man and the children dance to the pipes of Pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment