Saturday, June 30, 2012

Magdalen: Or, The End of All Things


Magdalen College
Instead of a final day of class on Friday (several of us are flying out of London then), Dr. Snyder scheduled a visit to Magdalen College on Thursday. No offense to Christ Church, but I truly wish I could have been a member of Magdalen just so I would have had an excuse to visit every day.

We walked around the grounds while Dr. Snyder told us about the history of the college. Highlights of the grounds include a deer park, the Fellows' Garden, and the chapel.
Alex and Casey. I think Alex was way more excited
about visiting Oscar Wilde's college than I could
ever hope to be.











While walking through the forest, Spencer found his true calling (see the photo below). No wonder he always insists upon being comfortable ... he's truly royalty. Dr. Snyder took this opportunity to draw our attention back to "Lord of the Rings" by observing the wooden seats remind him of the Council of Elrond. I have a theory that Dr. Snyder can relate anything back to Tolkien if he tries hard enough.
Spencer, Lord of the Woodland Realm


After walking for quite a bit, we made it to the Fellows' Garden, where we relaxed and took pictures before ending our tour.



Taylor was the tallest person I've ever known in real life.





The Grove (the deer park)

After the tour was over, Casey, Melissa, and I went to Granola to grab an afternoon snack. In a way, it was circular. I began my trip with the two of them, having crazy adventures at the airport. And then we began the end. Almost as soon as we reached the flat, we said goodbye to Maddy. And with promises of making Bueno bar ice cream together in the fall, she was gone.

I took Josh to dinner. The less said about that, the better.

Friday, we completed our book analysis papers for Dr. Snyder and prepared our flat for departure. Because I wasn't leaving until (well, at this point I had no idea when I was leaving), I put off packing as much as possible. Khanh and I went to Christ Church to return our key fobs (which I never used) and to say goodbye.

The Christ Church Library ... I loved it there.
As for the whole Scotland trip thing, Josh and I had yet to make any plans because we had been busy finishing our various assignments. After finishing my paper, Josh threw a book on manners at me that was in Bailey's flat and told me it was something I could read up on. (He thought it was a guide book. I was still kind of insulted, especially since Bailey has called me a shrew since the first trip to London.)

Khanh left very early Saturday in order to catch her flight on time. We said goodbye, and Ben walked her to the bus station.

At a decent time today, Josh and I met at Blackwell's to plan our trip (he was late, surprise).

Mini-rant: Penguin Books are just awful. If you're going to sell a book, the least you should do is learn how to spell the names of the main characters on the back. For example, in Charles Dickens's classic novel "Little Dorrit" (read it), Mr. Pancks is one of the most endearing characters. It's not spelled, Panks, Penguin. And you got it right on the inside so ... I don't see what the problem is.

At any rate, we realized we could catch a night bus to Scotland for a decent price (sixty pounds fare for each of us versus one hundred twenty six a person for train). So we went to the train station and bought our tickets for the Edinburgh that leaves later tonight.

After packing up my stuff and finishing things up at the flat, I recruited Bailey and Cameron to help me transport my luggage to Josh's house, where the four of us were meeting so that we could go to the pub one last time. We went to the Rickety Press, ate dinner, returned to the flat, and Bailey revealed he had written me a song. Which he showed to everyone at dinner and then sang to me before it was time to call a taxi. It's main theme? What Hannah Wants, Hannah Gets. 

Yep.

 So soon, we're off to catch a bus to Scotland, ready for a new adventure. 

I just know one thing: This is going to be a long trip if Josh doesn't cut the crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment